Q & A

I am working as a contractor in the PEIR Group for MSHA doing highly confidential and complex work. The position is supposed to convert to a government assignment in the coming months. What is the best strategy or documentation to use to negotiate for years of credited service for my industry expertise that makes me uniquely qualified for this work?

Answer: There is no provision in law that would allow you to get credit for your private-sector experience in determining your years of service. However, at the sole discretion of your agency, you could get additional credit for leave accrual purposes. See www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration-fact-sheets/creditable-service-for-annual-leave-accrual-for-non-federal-work-experience-and-experience-in-the-uniformed-services. I’m not in a position to advise you on how to make your case for that.

Source: Reg Jones, FederalTimes.com – November 30, 2013

What's Your Opinion?

We welcome your comments. Join the discussion and let your voice be heard. All fields are required

Website by Geiger Computers