Q & A

My husband and I separated but remained married even though lived with another woman for the last decade. He died recently. Can I receive Social Security benefits as his widow even though we have been apart for years?

Answer: If monthly Social Security survivor benefits are payable, they would be paid to you as the legal widow. Since you were not living together, a one-time payment of $255 to help offset funeral costs is usually not payable. Survivor benefits based on your age can begin as early as age 60. For younger widow or widowers with a severe disability, survivor benefits can begin as young as age 50. They are also payable at any age if eligible children are involved. More about SSA survivors benefits is at www.socialsecurity.gov/survivors. Read more…

Source:Howard Kossover, via www.dl-online.com

Notice: The “Read more…” link provided above connects readers to the full content of the posted article. The URL (internet address) for this link is valid on the posted date; socialsecurityreport.org cannot guarantee the duration of the link’s validity. Also, the opinions expressed in these postings are the viewpoints of the original source and are not explicitly endorsed by AMAC, Inc.; the AMAC Foundation, Inc.; or socialsecurityreport.org.

What's Your Opinion?

We welcome your comments. Join the discussion and let your voice be heard. All fields are required

Website by Geiger Computers