Q & A

How do we refile for Social Security?

Full Question: My wife and I both turn 66 this fall. She took an early retirement at 62 but only receives $232.00 per month. My estimated retirement is $2350 per month, and have heard that she is entitled to 50% of my retirement (FRA). How do we file for that re-evalution of her retirement funds?

Answer: Based on the scenario you’ve explained, after you begin your benefits, your wife will be able to apply for and receive an increased benefit amount. If she had waited until her Full Retirement Age to start Social Security, her total benefit (a combination of her own benefit and her benefit as a spouse) would have been 50% of your benefit.  However, since she started taking benefits early, it will be more than she’s currently receiving, but less than a full 50%. Here’s a fact sheet from Social Security, check out page 9 for information on spouse’s benefits. To start your benefits (and bump up hers), you can apply at the Social Security website or visit the nearest Social Security office.


Notice: The “Read more…” links provided above connects readers to additional information relevant to the posted article. The URL (internet address) for these links are valid on the posted date; socialsecurityreport.org cannot guarantee the duration of the links’ validity. Also, the opinions expressed in these postings are the viewpoints of the original source and are not explicitly endorsed by AMAC, Inc.; the AMAC Foundation, Inc.; or socialsecurityreport.org.

What's Your Opinion?

We welcome your comments. Join the discussion and let your voice be heard. All fields are required

Website by Geiger Computers