Latest News

Retroactive spousal benefits from Social Security?

Spousal and survivor benefit rules with Social Security can perplex almost anyone.  In this piece, Karin Price Mueller explains that one cannot go back and claim past benefits for the death of a spouse, even though one would have been eligible to do so earlier.  The piece also includes a discussion on the best age to claim benefits.  Full article from is here.

The AMAC Foundation offers a free-to-the-public advisory service to all folks ageing into–or already in–Social Security. This service provides guidance in understanding the complexities of Social Security and the myriad rules and regulations associated with the process for claiming benefits, with NSSA-Certified Social Security Advisors available via email or telephone to discuss options. Learn more about this service via the Foundation’s website.



Notice: The link provided above connects readers to the full content of the posted article. The URL (internet address) for this link is valid on the posted date; cannot guarantee the duration of the link’s validity. Also, the opinions expressed in these postings are the viewpoints of the original source and are not explicitly endorsed by AMAC, Inc.; the AMAC Foundation, Inc.; or



Comments On This Topic

  1. i have been waiting for almost a year for you to reopen i cant even get a appointment i new to be issued a replacement social security card to obtain a new job im still unemployed and suffering due to this matter.

    • Margo:

      Please note that this website is not sponsored by the Social Security Administration (SSA). Rather, it is sponsored by The AMAC Foundation, a private non-profit company which assists people with questions about their benefits under the Federal Social Security program. We are aware that the SSA has kept their offices closed to the public during the pandemic, and we understand they are now making some in-person appointments when necessary. But a majority of SS transactions, including name changes, can be done via a telephone appointment. If you call the general SSA number (1.800.772.1213) and request an appointment for changing your name, Social Security will set a date/time to call you to complete that transaction. You may find the information at this link helpful:
      Gerry Hafer
      National Social Security Advisor
      The AMAC Foundation

What's Your Opinion?

We welcome your comments. Join the discussion and let your voice be heard. All fields are required

Website by Geiger Computers