Q & A

Refund on Medicare?

Full Question: I am a retired disabled military member who works in the federal government. Since I am retired, I did not opt for any of the Federal Employees Health Benefits, as I am covered through Tricare as well as the Veterans Affairs Department. So, why is it that I must pay into Medicare when I am presently covered by another form of medical coverage? What can I do to stop this $2,247.18 annual deduction? Since I am covered as a vet under VA, I don’t need additional medical coverage. This is not right. How do I get my money back?

I’ve been paying into this since 2005 as a federal employee, having spent the previous 20 in the military. Since retiring eight years ago, I have been receiving Medicare care as a disabled vet through VA, and my family is covered through Tricare, which I pay monthly through payroll deduction. So where is my $2,247.18 going every year? What is the government doing with my earnings? Are there any provisions to cease this from happening?

Answer: By law, nearly all employees are required to have Medicare deductions taken from their pay. There is no circumstance under which you can receive a refund of those contributions, whether or not you ever use the benefits. For information about Medicare and the limited exceptions under which certain organizations are exempt, go to www.ssa.gov/slge/mand_med_cov.htm.

Source: http://blogs.federaltimes.com – November 21, 2013

What's Your Opinion?

We welcome your comments. Join the discussion and let your voice be heard. All fields are required

Website by Geiger Computers