Latest News

Choosing A Representative Payee in Advance

A “representative payee” is sometimes used for Social Security recipients who become incapable of handling their own financial affairs, or minor children who are eligible for benefits from a parent. The Representative Payee receives the beneficiary’s Social Security payment, but is obligated to use that money only for the needs of the beneficiary. Social Security thoroughly evaluates each such potential representative to ensure their suitability for the role, and requires a detailed accounting to ensure benefits are being properly used, to make sure the beneficiary’s interests are fully protected. But waiting until a Representative Payee is actually needed can create additional stress, so Social Security provides a way to give them an “Advance Designation” of who you would like your Representative Payee to be, should it become necessary. As described in this Big Rapids, MI Pioneer article by Social Security’s Vonda Van Til, the Advance Designation program allows a beneficiary to inform Social Security in advance of who they would prefer to have as their Representative Payee. Social Security must still fully evaluate anyone so chosen, but the Advance Designation program offers a way for beneficiaries have more control over who they would have as their Representative Payee, should it be needed. Click here to read more.

Notice: The link provided above connects readers to the full content of the posted article. The URL (internet address) for this link is valid on the posted date; cannot guarantee the duration of the link’s validity. Also, the opinions expressed in these postings are the viewpoints of the original source and are not explicitly endorsed by AMAC, Inc.; the AMAC Foundation, Inc.; or

What's Your Opinion?

We welcome your comments. Join the discussion and let your voice be heard. All fields are required

Website by Geiger Computers